By special request, I am posting this awesome gifting idea! I was at Pettiti's recently and they have 50% off their flower bulbs. So I had this great idea to do with the kids - plant the bulbs in containers and then force them to bloom. The kids planted them and then I thought what a GREAT gift idea!!! I mentioned to my husband and he said he was thinking the same thing. So I went and purchased more :) The fabulous thing is these should be starting to bloom just in time for Easter (April 20, 2014).
Here are directions:
1. Choose a planter (outdoor or indoor planter). Have your kids help in the decision making and maybe have them paint or decorate?
2. Select bulbs to be planted with the kids help. There are several Pettiti's locations, we visited the one in Tallmadge! They have a HUGE selection - daffodils, tulips, lilies, crocuses, hyacinths, etc
3. Using peat moss, put some in the bottom of your planter. If there is a drainage hole, use landscape fabric or rocks in the bottom of the planter before putting a layer of peat moss in.
4. Place bulbs on peat following directions on bulb package as to how deep and then cover with more peat moss.
5. Place in cold, dark location 35-45 degrees for 12-16 weeks (basement/garage)
6. Bring inside and ENJOY!!!
7. When the flowers are spent and the ground has warmed up, plant outside and enjoy the gift that keeps giving year after year :)
Things to consider:
For forcing indoor blooms, the easiest bulbs are crocus, mini-daffodils, hyacinth, and muscari. Tulips and standard daffodils can also be forced, but they require more careful attention.
How many bulbs and planters you will need? Who will you be gifting - Moms, Grandmas, neighbors, Sunday school teachers, etc...
Mix bulbs for early blooming to late blooming for extended bloom time.
Color selection of bulbs
Potted plants look great when they are crowded together
Types of bulbs, mix tulips with hyacinths for instance.
Have FUN with the kids!!!! You will have gifts ready for you when you would be in the store shopping with what the store offers selection. Your gift recipients will thank you for the beautiful, sweet smelling bouquet!
"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Luke 12:27