Follow by Email

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Please Support CHEO!!!!

Hi All!

We need to help save CHEO.  A mom posted this and I am sharing, so please know this is not first hand info, but fully trust the person that it is correct.  I thought when CHEO said this would be the last convention in Akron that they would be moving elsewhere in the state, not the very last one ever…..

Last week, I shared a tidbit about a message I read in the CHEO email I had received.  Tonight, I was talking to a vendor who attended CHEO last year for their first time but unfortunately won't be able to return this June.  She educated me on something that in all my years of homeschooling, I never knew this was going on.  I'd like to share it with my fellow homeschoolers in case there are others who many not have known this either.

The situation with CHEO (and many other state represented conventions) is of great concern to those who have been organizing them for years and years.  CHEO puts on the convention as a non-profit organization so they can raise funds to help fight for our homeschooling freedoms in Ohio, to put together welcome packets, give support to new homeschoolers and veterans alike and many other things that many of us may have needed at sometime or another.  

What is happening is that there are 3 large homeschool convention organizations across the country that are "for profit" that are organizing these huge conventions and pushing our state organizations out of existance.  These large conventions are NOT PUTING ANY of their profit back into the states where they hold the conventions to help further the cause of homeschooling and the freedom to do so.  If organizations like CHEO do not get enough support from their own state, they will not be able provide the services they do to help us continue homeschooling freely.

ConventionThis lady told me that it's not just happening in Ohio but in many states where these new "mega" conventions are popping up.  Don't misunderstand me, I have attended the Cincy convention for a few years now, along with CHEO too but this news bothers me.  I'd consider myself a veteran homeschooler after 10 years but I'm concerned as to who will fight for our freedoms in years to come, besides the fact that CHEO may not be able to afford to continue organizing conventions for us and offer support for the new generation of homeschoolers.  

Take this info for what you will, I merely wanted to educate those who cared to know.


Thank you and if you anyone has any ideas to help CHEO, please share!!!!!

Many blessings,

Kim

"Lo, children [are] an heritage of the LORD: [and] the fruit of the womb [is his] reward."  Psalm 127:3

2 comments:

  1. According to Gay Snyder, CHEO is not going away, just the convention. They will still be an organization fighting for us, they still need members, and they will still closely work with HSLDA. Gay is the CHEO representative for the 330 area. You may contact her for additional information. It is a concern, though. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It saddens me to hear the convention is leaving. Last year was our first convention and the information presented has helped me through out our first year homeschooling. We are looking forward to another wonderful convention this year!

    ReplyDelete